Maple-Roasted Cardamom-Spiced Carrots & Apples
- 1/4 C Walnuts
- 14 oz Carrots cut to similar thickness*,
- 1 lb Apples your favorite variety, cut into thick wedges
- 1 1/2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom ground
- 1/4 tsp Ginger ground
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 2 tsp Fresh Mixed Herbs finely chopped, like thyme and rosemary, or sage and parsley
- Sea Salt to taste
- 1/4 Lemon juiced
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C) and place rack in upper third of oven. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Place walnuts in a pan and toast while the oven is preheating for about 15 minutes or until toasty and fragrant. Set aside to cool, then chop fine.
- Toss carrots and apples with olive oil and maple syrup. Sprinkle with spices. Toss again to evenly distribute the spices. Spread the carrots and apples in an even layer, on each prepared sheet pan making sure not to crowd the carrots and apples. Roast for 20 minutes, gently flip the carrots and apples 1/2 way through roasting.Test to see if the carrots and apples need more time by checking for fork tenderness. I prefer tender crisp carrots. If more time is needed, give them another five or more minutes. Thicker carrots will need more time. Right out of the oven, sprinkle with lemon juice, toss with fresh herbs and season with sea salt.
- Serve immediately or chill and serve on a salad, as a snack or cheese plate.
Notes: Look for carrots that have their tops. Also, look for carrots of similar size. Before roasting, and if needed, cut the carrots so that they are of similar size so that they'll roast evenly.