Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies
Mint and chocolate in perfect harmony! These delicious, chewy Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies are the ultimate holiday treat. Topped with a snow-like layer of powdered sugar, this festive cookie recipe is a refreshing twist on the classic chocolate crinkle and makes the perfect addition to any cookie swap. Rich, decadent, and sure to be devoured quickly! Add shredded coconut for additional chewiness and a subtle coconut flavor or stir in another chopped up bar for even more chocolatey goodness!
- 6 ounces (2 bars) Lake Champlain Chocolates Peppermint Crunch Chocolate Bar, chopped
- 6 tablespoons Cabot Creamery unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup King Arthur Flour, all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup Unsweetened Organic Cocoa
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut or 1 additional Peppermint Crunch Chocolate Bar, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (for rolling)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar (for rolling)
- Combine 6 ounces chopped chocolate and unsalted butter in a heat-proof bowl. Place over a pan of simmering water and stir occasionally, until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. (Alternatively, microwave the chocolate for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.)
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl until well combined.
- Combine sugar and eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk for approximately 5 minutes, or until the mixture produces a ribbon when the whisk is lifted from the bowl.
- Stir vanilla and the melted chocolate into the egg mixture, then stir in the dry ingredients. Stir in coconut or chopped chocolate, if adding. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours, or until the dough is firm.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Pour 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar into a small bowl, and 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar in another. Shape spoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in the granulated sugar first, then the powdered sugar. Place on cookie sheet 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, rotating pan halfway through, until cookies just start to feel crisp on the outside but are still soft in the center. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet until they are firm enough to move, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.