Apple Cider Magic Cake
Apple Cider Reduction
- 6 cups Champlain Orchards apple cider
- Or use 3/4 cup of Champlain Orchards Cider Syrup
Magic Cake Batter
- 4 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup apple cider reduction
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted but cool
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups milk
- ¼ cup crème fraîche
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup apple cider reduction
- Apple slices, for garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan, simmer the apple cider over medium heat until reduced to ¾ cup and the consistency of honey, 30 to 40 minutes. Set aside and let cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the egg whites to stiff peaks using a whisk attachment, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove the whipped egg whites and set aside.
- In the same stand mixer bowl, add the egg yolks and the sugar, and mix on medium speed until a light yellow color, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the salt, ½ cup of the cooled apple cider reduction and vanilla, and mix for 2 minutes at medium speed. Bring the mixer to a low speed and stream in the melted butter until fully incorporated. Add the flour to the mixture and whisk on medium speed until it comes together. While on low speed, stream in the milk and whisk until the milk has fully emulsified with the butter and other ingredients. Fold in the whipped egg whites with a rubber spatula and pour the cake batter into a buttered cake pan 9 inches in diameter.
- Bake the cake until it no longer jiggles when gently shaken, 45 to 50 minutes. Allow the cake to fully cool, 1 hour.
- While the cake is cooling, make the crème fraîche whipped cream: In a clean bowl of a stand mixer, add all of the ingredients, except the apple cider reduction, and whip using a whisk attachment to medium-stiff peaks.
- When the cake has fully cooled, spread the crème fraîche whip on top and drizzle with the remaining ¼ apple cider reduction. Decorate with apple slices, if using. Slice and serve at room temperature.